Uddiyana Bandha (abdominal contraction)
We are slowly entering the cold season, the earth inspires, the energy turns inside. Human beings also experience this change of season in a more or less strong way. Sometimes this change leads to some digestive problems and / or stomach pain.
Uddiyana Bandha is one of the most powerful yoga practices and a great help for these problems, performed daily in the morning as soon as you get up, for a longer time, you can check its beneficial effects. However, over time it is almost automatic and spontaneous to do it and insert it into the daily routine.
Uddiyana Bandha is understood as “the Ascent of the Great Sacred Bird” “the bird of Life” as the Prana or vital breath is defined. This practice, which must be performed every day in the morning as soon as you wake up, exerts a strong beneficial massage on the intestine, facilitating its immediate evacuation. The diaphragm is raised in the chest, with empty lungs, consequently the organs of the abdomen are all pulled back towards the spine of the lumbar area. A great void is created, the belly withdraws completely and a closed fist of the hand can stand in the space created.
HERE’S HOW IT’S DONE:
– Stand with your feet about half a meter apart. Inhale deeply from the nostrils.
– Lean forward at the waist and exhale deeply from the mouth. Try to empty your lungs as much as possible.
-Keep your spine straight and bend your knees slightly. Place your palms on your thighs just above your knees so that your knees support the weight of your upper body. The fingers can be pointing down or in.
-Make sure your arms are extended.
– In this position there is an almost automatic contraction of the abdominal region. Bend your head forward while closing your throat even slightly.
– Take a fake inhalation, keeping the glottis closed and expanding the chest, as if inhaling but without actually taking in air.
– Legs straighten slightly.
– This movement will automatically draw the abdomen upwards internally towards the spine to form uddiyana bandha. The depression that is created and which sucks it upwards is very useful for prolapsed organs such as kidneys, uterus and ovaries.
– Maintain this position in apnea (bahir kumbhaka, holding the breath with empty lungs) for a comfortable period of time.
-Release the abdominal lock and relax the chest.
– Straighten your knees and lift your head.
-Then inhale slowly and deeply.
-Remain upright until breathing returns to normal before starting a new cycle.
Two or three daily runs, always in the morning on an empty stomach, are enough to keep the intestine healthy and eliminate impurities
it is a panacea for many abdominal and stomach ailments, including constipation, indigestion, worms and diabetes, as long as they are not chronic. The digestive fire is stimulated and the abdominal organs are all massaged and toned. The adrenal glands are balanced, removing lethargy and relieving anxiety, depression and tension. It gives vitality to people without energy. It improves blood circulation throughout the trunk and strengthens all internal organs. Uddiyana bandha stimulates the solar plexus which has many subtle influences on the distribution of energy in the body.
The Hatha Yoga Pradipika states: “The old man who performs this practice under the guidance of an experienced teacher, becomes young again”
Contraindications: Women should not practice it during the first days of the menstrual cycle, and during pregnancy.
- Senza categoria (10)